Official Fee Schedule for Copying Public Records
Under 1 V.S.A. 316(d) the secretary shall adopt, by rule, a uniform schedule of public record charges for state agencies. The current rule was adopted November 14, 2003 and became effective on December 1, 2003. The schedule also applies, under 1 V.S.A. 316(e), to political subdivisions whose legislative bodies have not adopted a uniform schedule. The schedule does not apply to public records governed by fees otherwise established by law.
UNIFORM SCHEDULE OF PUBLIC RECORD CHARGES FOR STATE AGENCIES
Pursuant to 1 V.S.A. 316(d) and Acts 1996, No. 159 section 1, the following fees are established as the actual cost of providing a copy of a public record:*
- For staff time involved in physically duplicating a record, $.33 per minute after the first 30 minutes.
- For senior-level staff time, and information technology specialists' time spent extracting data from databases or performing similar tasks necessary to comply with a request to create a new public record, $.57 per minute.
- For any other staff time for which cost can be charged and collected under this section, $.45 per minute.
- For photocopies,$.05 per single-sided page, $.09 per double-sided page for pages up to 8.5 by 14 inches.
- For color photocopies, $1.00 per single-sided page.
- For computer-generated paper copies, $.02 per page for pages up to 8.5 by 14 inches.
- For computer diskettes, $.28 each for 3.5-inch diskettes.
- For compact discs, $.86 each for write-once CD w/case, $2.31 each for re-writable CD w/case.
- For audio tapes, $.81 each.
- For video tapes, $1.69 each.
- For DVD's, $2.00 each for write-once DVD w/case, $4.00 each for re-writable DVD w/case.
* Note: that there are fees for copies of public records that are established by statute that may override the fees established by this schedule.
Please direct all reference questions or research inquiries to:
- VSARA Reference Room Staff
- EMAIL: (For vital records requests use: )
- PHONE: 802-828-2308
This page was last updated on: 2012-09-24.